Friday, October 10, 2008

I can't believe I'm saying this.

Last night for dinner we had Popeye's Fried Chicken. There were a couple of pieces left over because Jason doesn't care for chicken. True to form, I had to keep chasing Richard out of the kitchen after dinner because he wanted to swipe the last of the chicken for himself. I'm really trying to watch his diet and I feel more like a warden than a mother most times. Finally, Richard went to bed. However, about 15 minutes later he comes out in his t-shirt and boxers heading for the kitchen. I asked him what he needed. He said that he wanted a glass of water. This he did, but I noticed on his way back to his room that he had his sheet with him and was holding it in front of himself. I stood up and he insisted that I didn't need to follow him to his room to tuck him in. Yes, I STILL tuck my kids in! Anyhow, I said that I was already up and I didn't mind tucking him in at all. I then asked him what he was hiding behind the sheet. "Nothing", he said. "But really Mom, you DON'T have to follow me to my room!" Again, I explained that I was already up and ready to tuck him in for the night. I pulled the sheet away from him and could tell that he was hiding something inside his boxers. After some arguing, I discovered that he had shoved a piece of fried chicken in his boxer shorts! After a heavy sigh I said, "You know Richard. When I gave birth to you and held you in my arms, there were many things that went through my mind. Things that I could see myself saying to you in the future. NEVER in my freakiest dreams did I EVER think that I would hear myself say, "Richard, get that chicken out of your underwear!!""

4 comments:

Nicowhit said...

Becky, you crack me up. LOL I have noticed that since I have been working out and excersising more, my girls are more interested in exercising also, and I am cooking way healthier meals that the kids seem to be enjoying most days. It has been great. The neighbor boy is quite heavy and I take him to school each day so we have been walking. His mother has been very grateful for that cause his doctor told him he needs to loose weight. It's a hard thing, but with your love and support, and of course your humor, Richard will make it.

PookaB said...

That's one I think I'll never forget! :)

J said...

oh. my. gosh. I hope he didn't eat it!!! Kids think they're so sneaky sometimes. I remember when we were young, we'd play in my grandma's makeup and when she asked if we had done it - our bright orange lip-sticky lips lied, "Nooooo." We thought we'd gotten away with it for sure. :)

Taylor Family said...

Never a dull moment in the Bowler household--you guys crack me up!