Monday, September 29, 2008

"We HAVE to get out of here!!"

Today was my second day on the new job. The little girl I work with is such a cutie. She is more profoundly autistic than Richard. The training I received last week hasn't been all that helpful to me in the classroom. The techniques I learned would be more useful to an in home tutor. What I wished they had taught me was how to handle a meltdown in the classroom. How to restrain a student who is in danger of hurting him/herself or others without causing injury to the child or myself. Her attention span lasts only a few seconds at a time. Today, she kept saying, "We HAVE to get out of here!" over and over again. Sometime I feel the same way!LOL Perhaps it was a way of stimming. I feel like I'm under a microscope with her. I know in my head that if it doesn't work out, I shouldn't take it personally. Being on the parent end of this for 11 years now, I understand how sometimes it (the aide) just isn't working out. Nothing personal. It's just the way it is. Richard has had to go through several aides at several different schools before we found that was a good fit. Right now, Richard is at a workshop at school. He's learning to talk "forsoothy" so that he can audition for Middle Class in the Elizabethan Dinner this year. I hope he makes it. He was very disappointed not to make the school play. Especially since the play is about special needs adults trying to fit in society. When he didn't get a part in the play, he said to me, "I guess I'm just so high functioning now, that they don't think I can act special needs very good." I am relieved that he still wants to continue to audition and be a part of school activities. In 2 weeks he starts voice training at the school. It will last 7 weeks and cost $84. Richard's hope is that it will help him to sing in the lower register. Oh my goodness! It's Sept. 29th! I need to get busy on my Sept. Bowler Bulletin and send it out to you folks! Busy, busy, busy.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Sounds like life is busy and crazy as ever. I would think that you would come to your job with a better understanding than most, but I can see how you's want personalities to mesh as well. Keep showing up and it will all work together. Good luck to Richard and the singing. If you don't mind, send us a copy of the Bowler Bulletin. We'd love to keep up on what's going on.

Nicowhit said...

LOL Richard is such a crack up. Boy do I miss you guys. I have been so homesick lately. I sure hope I find out about those airline tickets soon. I am getting antsy. Have fun at the new job. You will get the hang of it and you will get to know her better and know where her hot button is and what things work and what things don't. Just give it time.