Friday, September 19, 2008

Things are looking up!

OK, so I didn't get the job that I interviewed for face down on the floor at Upland Elementary. It was a let down for me, but I had already made up my mind that I would continue to apply for better paying jobs with the school district until I got SOMETHING. The second week of school, I was in the teacher's lounge and one of the instructional aides told me that there was an opening for an instructional aide position and a daycare position with the school district. I asked her when the deadline was to apply for the jobs? The deadline for both were THAT day (Friday). So I raced home during my break and applied online for both positions. For the instructional aide position, one of the qualifications were that I either have 48 semester credits (I only have 30), or that I have passed the academic assessment test required of paraprofessionals in accordance with the "No Child Left Behind Act." I didn't have that either. So I called the district office and asked how I get certified? I got a call from Becky, the lady at the district office on Monday wanting to know if I could come in the next morning for testing. I did and I PASSED! Woo-Hoo! I had my interview the next day and felt good about it. I got a call a few days later telling me that they had selected someone else for the 6 hour instructional aide position, but would I accept a 3 1/12 hour position? I accepted. This means more money in our bank account and I won't have to watch after 377 kids on the playground anymore! I go in Wed. and Thur. of next week for Applied Behavior Analysis training and then I'll start work at Sycamore Elementary. I'll be working one on one with a kindergarten girl who is autistic. I'm hoping that Friday and Monday they will just let me observe and let her get to me a little. If they pull her current aide out and suddenly put me in, it will almost certainly turn her little world upside down. Autistics thrive on routine, so I'm hoping that they will ease me in as her new aide. So anyhow, life is funny! I was big time bummed that I didn't get the clerical assistant position at the other school and I ended up getting a job that not only pays more money and gives me more hours, but that will really challenge me. One more time now WOO HOO!!!
Obviously, the daycare position is a non-starter. Thank Goodness!!