Saturday, August 16, 2008
Face Down, But Life Is Good!
I had a job interview yesterday at an elementary school for the position of clerical assistant. I took the written and typing test, passing them both. I would really like to get this job, since it would mean more hours and more money per hour. Being little Miss "On the Ball", I arrived 13 minutes early. This wasn't too hard since I only live 3 minutes from the school. I walk in and sit down in the front office. A lady walks in, says hello and asks me if I'm here for the interview. I said yes, and she handed me a paper with questions they plan on asking me in the interview. As I'm looking them over, I cross my legs. Big mistake! I felt a twinge in my lower back. So I uncrossed my legs. Bigger mistake! POW! My back went out! I tried to relax, but it just wasn't happening. I prayed silently to God, "If I'm not supposed to interview for this job. That's cool! Just please let my back feel good enough for me to make it back to my van and get home? Amen".....Nothing happened except that the pain in my back by now was absolutely unbearable. A lady walked into the office just then. She was there to register her daughter for school. I asked her if she would please hand me my purse that was on the floor next to my leg. She asked if I was alright and I told her that my back was out. She handed me my purse AFTER telling me about how she had to have surgery for her own herniated disks. I finally got my purse and pulled out my cell phone. I then managed to get to the floor where I lied faced down. The lady who greeted me when I first got there walked out and asked if I was alright. I told her what had happened and that I had called my husband who should be showing up within the next 45 minutes. She then brought me a pillow for my head and an ice pack for my back. I asked her if she had any Motrin. She told me that she had Advil. I asked for 4. By now, the school Principal was out in the hallway asking if she could do anything. I told her no, that I would be alright until my husband arrived. I was then told that this was the only day they would be holding interviews. I said that I was ready for the interview if they were. So they brought out their chairs into the hallway and said, "Hello Becky, nice to meet you." I said, "Hello, Nice Shoes!" Other than being face down on the floor, I think it went very well. After the interview, Scott arrived and tried to help me up. As much as I wanted to, this was NOT going to happen. I asked for someone to call 911. I was transported to the hospital where they asked my a bunch of questions and gave me some really good drugs! I never take anything stronger than a Tylenol, so they were very effective. Several hours later, I was able to slowly walk out of the hospital and go home. I am still store and tender, but am feeling MUCH better than I was yesterday. I went into my box of cards this morning and found a thank you to send to the school. I thanked them for the opportunity to interview for the job. I thanked them for their willingness to change location for the interview from the back office to the hallway. I thanked them for letting me lie down on their floor, for the pillow, for the ice pack and for the Advil. I ended by saying that if hired, I look forward to seeing them again in an upright position and will be ready to go to work! Sooo, how was your day?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'll bet your application doesn't blend in with the others. You found a pretty effective way to keep your name pretty distinct from everyone else's. Good luck, hope you get it and continue to feel MUCH better!
Thanks for the hearty laugh! I needed it!
I hope you get the job :)
Big hugs from Texas!
I'll tell you one thing, they wont forget who you are. LOL I hope you get the job. Let us know.
WOW!!! Kudos to you! Matthew says you should sell your story to Reader's Digest, after you get the job, of course :) I think it shows great determination on your part, and they would be crazy not to hire you. Good luck!
oh my gosh! That is soooo (NOT) funny! I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but your stories are worth a million bucks! :)
I'm sorry babe! That totally stinks. Kudos to you for interviewing on the floor and everything! Wow!
Post a Comment